14 dead in Germany as cucumber crisis grows
Germany on Monday held crisis talks amid reports that at least 14 people have died and hundreds are ill in an outbreak of a highly virulent strain of bacteria found on imported cucumbers.
Belgium and Russia banned the import of vegetables from Spain, believed to be the source of at least some of the contaminated cucumbers. Madrid shot back saying it would seek financial compensation from the European Union for lost sales.
More than two weeks after the food poisoning outbreak was first reported in northern Germany, the number of confirmed and suspected cases has reached 1,200, according to media reports.
The Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Germany's national disease institute, said three deaths have been officially linked to the bacteria, but "in total about a dozen people have died according to regional authorities".
These authorities later Monday announced two more deaths: a woman of 50 and a man of 75 -- bringing the toll to at least 14. The Stockholm-based European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control has described the outbreak of the strain of E. coli as "one of the largest worldwide and the largest ever reported in Germany".
Authorities in Germany warned against eating raw vegetables after traces of the bacteria were found on organic cucumbers from Spain last week. But officials said they are unsure what caused the sudden outbreak of enterohaemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) which can result in full-blown haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS), a disease that causes bloody diarrhoea and serious liver damage and possible death.
The outbreak has hit countries including Britain, Denmark, Sweden and the Netherlands, but most these cases appear to involve people who had recently travelled to or from Germany.
"Normally we see about 1,000 cases per year, but we've now had some 1,200 cases in just 10 days," Jan Galle, director of the Luedenscheid clinic in western Germany, told ZDF public television. "And we know that this time the EHEC strain is especially virulent and resistant, and has led to a very high number of HUS" cases, he added.
RKI has reported 329 confirmed HUS cases nationwide."Rapid identification of potential cases linked to this outbreak, within Germany or among persons who have travelled to Germany since the beginning of May, is essential to prevent the development of severe disease," the European disease control centre said in a statement Monday.
German Consumer Affairs Minister Ilse Aigner held emergency talks with Health Minister Daniel Bahr and regional state representatives, telling reporters the crisis has "taken a European dimension".
Burger said the source of the contamination had not been definitively identified. Last week his organisation said a study had shown that all those affected had eaten significantly above-average amounts of tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers.
European health officials said there was currently no indication that raw milk or meat is associated with the outbreak. Many German supermarkets and shops removed all Spanish-grown vegetables from their shelves.
Spain in turn has hotly denied that its cucumbers were the cause of the outbreak and said it would seek compensation from the European Union for the "enormous damage" to its agriculture industry.
Belgium said it was blocking cucumber imports from Spain, while Russia said it was banning vegetable imports from both Spain and Germany.
The Netherlands, which usually exports vast amounts of vegetables to Germany, said sales had collapsed. German farmers also said consumers were boycotting their vegetables.
Doctors remained unsure how to treat the disease which can result in total kidney failure. "We have 61 adults hospitalised, 21 in intensive care," a spokeswoman for the Eppendorf University Clinic in Hamburg, where most cases are being treated clinic, said Monday evening.
The clinic has appealed for blood donations. "We are using between 500 and 700 bags of plasma per day, compared to 60 normally. We're running out of supplies," the spokeswoman said. Rolf Stahl, a neurologist at the clinic, said nearly a third of patients there had lost all kidney functions and were on dialysis.
Doctors were experimenting with a new type of monoclonal antibodies drug, Eculizumab, which, while not officially approved, has been administered to 11 patients in a bid to save their lives. "The infection source remains active and we have to reckon with a growing number of cases," Bahr said.
14 dead in Germany as cucumber crisis grows
Blog Hina Islam, Perkasa tampil lapor polis
(Free Malaysia Today)
PETALING JAYA: Pertubuhan Pribumi Perkasa Malaysia (Perkasa) akan membuat laporan polis berhubung satu entri blog yang didakwa menghina agama Islam dengan memaparkan gambar seekor jerung di atas Kaabah selain menggunakan kata-kata yang menghina agama tersebut.
Entri blog itu dikesan pada Isnin lalu dengan menggunakan nama Makcik Hajjah Sitt Al-Wuzara atau http://makcikhajjahsittalwuzara99.wordpress.com.
Malah sebuah akaun laman sosial Facebook turut dikesan menggunakan profil ‘Makcik Hajjah Sitt Al-Wuzara’.
Ketika dihubungi FMT, Ketua Wira Perkasa Irwan Fahmi berkata laporan akan dibuat di Ibu Pejabat Polis Dang Wangi (IPD), Kuala Lumpur jam 3.30 petang ini. Laporan polis itu dijangka telah dibuat apabila berita ini ditulis.
Menurut Irwan, beliau dan Presiden Perkasa Datuk Ibrahim Ali telah membaca entri blog terbabit dan menyifatkan ia satu tindakan yang tidak bermoral dengan menghina Islam yang merupakan agama rasmi negara ini.
Irwan berkata laporan itu untuk mendesak pihak polis dan Suruhanjaya Komunikasi dan Multimedia Malaysia (SKMM) untuk menyiasat lebih lanjut dan mengambil tindakan sewajarnya terhadap pemilik atau jurublog tersebut.
“Ia satu penghinaan yang sangat kurang ajar dan melampau batasan. Saya minta orang yang bertanggungjawab hormati agama Islam.Maka kami mahu desak pihak polis untuk membuat siasatan lanjut. Kalau boleh letak orang yang terbabit dalam ISA…..kerana tiada toleransi bila membabitkan hal agama.
“Kita perlu tegas kerana ia soal agama. Bagaimana jika perkara ini berlaku kepada agama lain?,” soalnya.
Irwan berkata selain entri blog itu, Perkasa turut membuat laporan berhubung tindakan Timbalan Menteri Pelajaran Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong yang memprotes ekoran dakwaan berlakunya salah urus dalam pengagihan biassiswa oleh pegawai Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA).
Semuanya tercetus apabila timbul dakwaan bahawa 363 pelajar yang memperoleh kesemua A+ gagal memperoleh biasiswa daripada JPA.
Menurut Irwan tindakan memprotes itu tidak wajar memandangkan ia adalah satu keputusan kabinet.
“MCA jangan mahu kaitkan keputusan kabinet dengan nyatakan baru-baru ini bahawa pemuda MCA tidak akan bersama kerajaan lagi. Saya mahu tanya masa pilihan raya umum lalu MCA menang banyakkah? Maka saya minta MCA jangan ganggu apa yang sudah diputuskan biar JPA laksanakan tugas,”katanya.
Sehubungan dengan itu, menurut Irwan Perkasa menyokong penuh kenyataan Menteri di Jabatan Perdana Menteri Datuk Seri Mohd Nazri Abdul Aziz bahawa kerajaan sedia memberi 12,000 biasiswa untuk membantu pelajar menamatkan ijazah pertama, sekaligus mengetepikan dakwaan Wee itu.
(Bernama) - The Registrar of Societies (ROS) has asked Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) to reply the notice on the revocation of registration that it had issued to the party within the stipulated period instead of using the media channel to make a reply.
Its Director-General, Datuk Abdul Rahman Othman said the notice was according to Sub-Section (2), Section 13, Societies Act 1966, whereby the PKR was given until June 9 to give satisfactory reasons why the party's registration should not be revoked.
Abdul Rahman told Bernama that the party concerned needed only to reply the notice giving concrete reasons within the period specified.
"When the ROS issues the notice, according to the Societies Act 1966, the party concerned is required to reply within the time specified, using the same channel, instead of using the media channel because this is considered improper," he said.
He was commenting on the statement by PKR secretary-general Saifuddin Nasution who disputed the action of the ROS in sending the notice to the party secretariat on May 9 which he considered as unwarranted.
Speaking to reporters at the party headquarters, Saifuddin claimed that the notice to revoke the PKR on grounds that the party had breached Clause 32.2.1 of the party constitution for expelling A Rajagopal without trial by the party's Disciplinary Board was confusing because the clause did not exist in the PKR constitution.
Meanwhile, a member of the Party Delegates Council who is also the Member of Parliament for Subang, Sivarasa Rasiah said the party secretariat would send a reply to the ROS today.
Authorities say a western Michigan woman offered a two-year-old relative for sale on eBay and accepted a man's tongue-in-cheek bid.
The Holland Sentinel says police located the woman in Ottawa County's Allendale Township, about 15 miles (24 kilometers) west of Grand Rapids. The woman had been caring for the child. The girl is now in her mother's custody.
Nineteen-year-old Autumn Braden tells The Grand Rapids Press she did it to "see how eBay worked" and it "wasn't meant to be taken seriously."
Ottawa County sheriff's Lt. Mark Bennett says police received calls about the Internet posting Monday from as far away as California.
Bennett says one bidder who thought it was a hoax called police when the bid was accepted and helped lead them to the woman. - AP
I'm not much a Jazz lover but I think there are many of you are looking forward to see the coming of Borneo Jazz 2011.
This time Borneo Jazz 2011 will be held from 12th - 15th May 2011 in Miri Sarawak, Malaysia. It seems this time Jazz lovers will swarm Miri city, Sarawak. I've been to Miri city long time ago. Miri is a very busy, fast growing city in Sarawak.
Having Borneo Jazz 2011 in Miri, Sarawak this year is a very good move to promote this vibrant, full with energy city to be one of a must visit city in Sarawak. I think Miri city is also the gateway to Mulu National Park and Niah Cave.
Tickets are available online at www.ticketcharge.com.my. If you need more information about Borneo Jazz, details are available online at www.jazzborneo.com or e-mail them at email@example.com
Have a nice time in Miri Sarawak. I hope you will enjoy it.
As you know this month, the month of May is festive season for the people in Sabah. The Kaamatan of Harvest festival is an annual celebration, celebrated by the people of Sabah.
And for sure the more awaited moment is to see Unduk Ngadau Kaamatan 2011 or Harvest Festival beauty contest is the highlight. Right now I'm still compiling the name of Unduk Ngadau Kaamatan finalist for 2011.
Please stay tuned with us for latest updates of Unduk Ngadau Kaamatan 2011. We will publish latest news as we received it.
Photos: Jovenia Jim Lajim - Unduk Ngadau Tamparuli Tuaran
Finally! I managed to spare sometime to watch this movie 'The Lost Bladesman' a Chinese action movie and the staring is Donnie Yen. The 2 hours movie is a very good movie. It should be able to glue you to your seat to the end of the movie.
If you love to watch Kung Fu movie, this movie is a must watch for you. There are many Kung Fu moves, punching, stabbing, slashing and many more martial arts moves are being employed in this movie.
I'm thinking about to watch it again, and right now I'm looking for a place where I can download this movie for free.
I think you are just like me looking for a free download site for 'The Lost Bladesman'. The story line for for this movie is very easy and straight-forward. It shouldn't put you into much trouble to understand the story-line of this movie.
If you know where I can download this movie for free please share the link here. I searched around the internet and found this particular blog SERIOUS MOVIE. I'm still learning whether or not I can download 'The Lost Bladesman' from this blog.
Visit Serious Movie blog HERE